Sunday, November 17, 2013

Recipes I Tried This Week

Today my husband and I tried two new recipes. The first I found on Pinterest and I made for breakfast before my husband and daughter woke up. It was easy and the muffins were light and fluffy. My husband said they were the best muffins he has ever had. He's been eating less bread and things that aren't as healthy for him and he had two. ;) They were great with my coffee. The link can be found here. And the recipe:
Orange Sour Cream Muffins with Zesty Orange Glaze

original recipe: http://damndelicious.tumblr.com/post/26330953745/muffin-monday-orange-sour-cream-muffins-with-zesty Yields 11 muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
For the Zesty Orange Glaze:
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the butter, sour cream, egg, orange juice and orange zest.
Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.
Place into oven and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
To make the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar as needed.
When the muffins are done, cool for 10 minutes and dip the muffin crown into the glaze.
Allow glaze to set before serving.

The next recipe I made this evening for dinner. My inlaws were out of town last week and had left uncarved pumpkins on their porch. Fear of frost/rotting, I brought the pumpkins home, cut one up and baked it. Tonight I used some of that fresh pumpkin for this soup. Sounds strange, I know, even my daughter mentioned that, but we all LOVED it. My husband mentioned he might even have it for a warm morning breakfast tomorrow! I made a few slight changes: I substituted veg stock instead of chicken and added a smidge of white wine when I added the stock. I also didn't have any sage so I just added a pinch of dried thyme. The recipe can be found here

Fresh Pumpkin Soup by Kerry Simon

By MarraMamba on August 22, 2007
Photo
Photo by Mikekey
17 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 50 mins
  • Servings: 4

About This Recipe

"One of my favorite "star" chef's, this sounds divine. Found it on Food Network. Prep time does not include time to roast the pumpkin"

Ingredients

    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 onion, diced
    • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
    • 1 apple, peeled and diced
    • 2 cups fresh pumpkin ( roasted and diced, see note below)
    • 1 tablespoon sage leaf
    • 3 cups chicken stock
    • 1 cup cream
    • salt & freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. In a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion, carrot, apple, roasted pumpkin, and sage until all are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
  2. Puree the mixture in a food mill; if you do not have a food mill, then puree in a food processor or blender. Return the puree to the stockpot, add the chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
  3. Then add the cream and simmer for 5 more minutes, lowering the heat if necessary so it does not boil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
  4. Divide soup among 4 soup bowls and serve immediately.
  5. COOKS NOTE: To roast pumpkin, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut whole pumpkin in half and then cut each half into several pieces. Discard seeds or reserve for another use. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender but not falling apart, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool, peel away skin, and dice.

No comments: