Thursday, November 07, 2013

Last Thursday's Helpful Apps

I got behind, sorry! Catching up! Today's Helpful Apps Category is Miscellaneous. This is a jumble of different types of apps I like. Next week will be Time Wasters, I mean games, that I enjoy when I have a few minutes to kill. However, since we have covered organization, health and fitness, listening, photography, social interaction, and the basics, I have some apps that just don't fit into another category. Enjoy!

https://itunes.apple.com/CA/app/id300048137
  • One thing I used quite regularly was the flashlight app, but, as you know, I updated the iOS to 7 and it now comes with a flashlight app so I deleted the old one. I love that I can click it on quickly as I am trying to get the dogs to come back in the house after I have let them out. ;)
  • I mentioned in my last post that I use an app called Vivino for cataloging wines. I have used it about ten times, so I'm not totally into a great habit with it, and, for that matter, I'm not always trying new wines. I do use it to keep track and I like the ease with which I can use it.  Here is the itunes description, and the app is free! • Take a photo and get to know any wine in seconds.
    • Remember wines and explore more of them
    • Get personalized wine recommendations
    • Share experiences and be inspired by friends.
    • Find the best rated wines in nearby shops.

    Vivino simplifies your path to enjoying great wines.
    The app helps you remember your favorites, know more about wine, and which one to choose for next occasion. Snap a photo of any wine, and while you have a sip we automatically recognize it from our database of more than 1,000,000 wines. If the app doesn’t match it immediately, our team will do it for you as quickly as we can.

    Discover all you want to know about wines, explore friend’s ratings and get personal recommendations based on your taste, simply browse wines in nearby stores or locate the ones on your Vivino Wish List.

    Best of all: It’s free!
  • I use the Starbucks app, too. I, at most, am drinking Starbucks every other day. Usually less, these days, since I'm not working. I don't mind coffee at home, but I do love the ease of this app. Here is some information posted on itunes about the Starbucks app, which you can also get via the Starbucks site itself. The official iPhone application from Starbucks! In addition to paying from Starbucks for iPhone, you can now add a Starbucks Card to Passbook. It’s the fastest way to pay at Starbucks – just scan and go!

    With Starbucks for iPhone, you can manage your Starbucks Card balance, reload your card, track your Stars in the My Starbucks Rewards program and send an eGift to a friend. And there’s more!

    Our easy-to-navigate store locator points you to the closest store and lets you search by amenities. You can also explore our whole bean coffees, find nutrition information and build your own perfect drink. And if you feel like being social, you can share your location or favorite drinks through Facebook and Twitter.
  • I use the app for my bank, too. I won't share which one I use here, but I do like that I can deposit small checks without having to leave my house. I like that I can check my balances in the palm of my hand, too. I checked most local banks and they all have a safe, secure app for your account.
  • I have a few weather apps. I cannot ever decide which one I like better. I like them each for different reasons. While searching for information for this bullet point, I came across this article: Comparing iphone Weather Apps at a Glance. First, in my apps, the "weather" that came with the phone. I can't delete it and it gives me a nice, quick peek at the current conditions pretty well. I have found that I like the radar view the best via The Weather Channel (or TWC) app. Then, if I feel like one more point of view, I use Accuweather. Each itunes link has more information about each one, and these are just blurbs for information. They often have other types of apps for other types of devices. I just used itunes because that is what I know.
That's all for today! Hope these help!

No comments: