Wednesday, February 05, 2014

What I'm Reading Wednesday

As I sit here drinking my green tea on another snow day, I realize what a stinky blogger I've been. This has been one of the last things on my list. Then I read a tweet by Stephanie Howell, whose instagram, blog and facebook posts I read regularly. Her tweet was a wondering about personal blogs-do people read/post on them anymore. I love to read people's posts. However, I have stunk at posting on my own lately.

Thank you to my dear readers who commented on the person who is dear to me that found out they had cancer. I am truly blessed by them and I am glad I get to (hopefully) be helpful to her.

Today, my post is to catch up on my "What I'm Reading Wednesdays". I haven't posted on them, as of yet, this year, and here it is February! I started the year out with a reading "Bang!" but have slowed down a bit as of late.

Books so far:

  1. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce-I thoroughly enjoyed this book. GoodReads had suggested it so I tried it-different than other books I read, but I couldn't put it down. I had to know how it ended! :) A good read. 4/5 stars
  2. The Fatal Funnel Cake by Livia J Washburn is the latest book in the Fresh Baked Mystery Series. I've read some by her before and they are quick read mysteries. I figured out the murderer before the "reveal" and still enjoyed it. GoodReads won't let you rate half stars so it, too received a 4/5, but should have gotten a 3.5 when comparing to my earlier reads.
  3. Gilt Trip by Laura Childs is the latest book in the Scrapbooking mystery series. It was very similar to the others in the series and, although I enjoy them, I like her tea mysteries much better. This too would have received a 3.5 out of 5. I figured out the killer before the reveal, here, too, but I enjoy all her talk about the scenery, etc. Another quick read.
  4. Girl Who Chased The Moon by Sarah Addison Allen was another book suggested to me by GoodReads. I loved it! I couldn't put this down, either. I had previously read her book Garden Spells and enjoyed it, too, so I picked this one up gladly. I got it in paperback and since finishing it, her latest book came out in hardback-I picked it up, hoping it's as good! It awaits on my "to read" shelf. 4/5 stars
  5. Similar to last year's goal to read an Agatha Christie, I set a goal to read a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle/Sherlock Holmes mystery. I read Hound of the Baskervilles. I enjoyed this mystery immensely! Terrific-kept me wondering the whole time. It required my reading early in the day, as a tired mind and tired eyes didn't work for this book-too involved. I loved it! (I have another Agatha Christie on my to read shelf, too! :))
  6. On my list I have two books I didn't finish. The first is Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. I had heard it was an excellent book and then saw it on the library's "Staff Picks" shelf. I, however, did not share the same interest and couldn't even get through the first chapter. It was so full of foul language I couldn't continue on with it. Granted, a word here or there that is defining for the character I can see, but this, combined with it's cattywompus thoughts did nothing for me. So, I stopped reading it. 0-1/5 stars...
  7. The second book I didn't like was a surprise... Many family members really like this series. I tried One For The Money by Janet Evanovich. Although I sometimes like cheesy mysteries I just couldn't get through this one. I am sure I could have but with a shelf full of "to-reads" waiting for me, that I probably won't even get through this year, plus our wonderful library's new books... I just didn't want to slog through this one. 0-1/5 stars...
Currently, I am in the midst of a very big book! I saw the preview for Winter's Tale-the movie- which is also a novel by Mark Helprin. I was moved by only the brief glimpse of the movie, so I went to the bookstore to get this book (I looked at our library but every copy was out!) I wanted to read before watching the movie, but then I picked up the book... It is 768 pages! It is large! And the movie comes out on Valentine's Day... I am not sure I'm going to finish! :) But, I'm working on it and enjoying it thus far.

What are you reading or looking forward to reading, Reader?

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like a great list of books Jen. I've heard mixed reviews about the Harold Fry book so I'm glad you liked it. And I really need to read a Sherlock Holmes -- it's been on my to read list for years!