Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Jan 3

Today I went to the doctor for my chest congestion and coughing. I received antibiotics and am hoping to be myself tomorrow! :)

My husband and oldest daughter are at the eye doctor for their yearly check-up appointments. Both needed new prescriptions/glasses.

My youngest daughter is reading a new book-enjoying her last day of reading "for fun" for a while, since the girls start back to school after their winter break tomorrow. They will have a lot of homework and their after school activities will keep them busy.

I have worked on my class assignment today. I am almost done with module 2. Each module has 6-8 sections about a specific area of differentiated instruction. The section I just finished was on research and strategies to implement in a classroom, dealing with physical environment (harsh lighting, temperature, music, etc.) and social and emotional environment (how to work with students and have them work together to have a positive effect on learning).

I have also done a little "fun" reading today... although I didn't really "have" the time to...
I started a book called Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos (the author of Love Walked In and Belong To Me-both of which I had heard were good, but haven't read). Pretty good so far, but I'm not too far in... Guilt over all I should be doing instead seeped in and squashed the enjoyment. ;)

Speaking of reading/books, one of my goals for this year is to read 6-12 books.
Books on my reading list?
*Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos
*Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs (I like her Scrapbook Mysteries and there is another coming out Jan. 18, and her Tea Shop Mysteries, so I thought I'd try it.)
*Laura Childs' next Scrapbook Mystery-she also usually has a tea mystery in March... if so, add that to my list!
*The next 3 books are chapter books that are historical fiction, but middle school level, so I could use them in my classroom in the future if I'm blessed to keep this same teaching job next year. Those three books are: War Horse-like the movie that just came out-by Michael Morpurgo, Bloody Times about Abraham Lincoln's death and the manhunt after by James L Swanson, and The Fighting Ground by Avi about a boy during the Revolutionary War
*Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo-both of my daughters and my mom liked/loved it.
*101 Things You Should Do Before Your Kids Leave Home by David Bordon and Tom Winters... my oldest will be leaving in the blink of an eye... thought it sounded interesting
*Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

I'm sure there are more, but that is all for now, since I have textbooks to read, too! :)
What is next on your list to read?

No comments: