Saturday, January 06, 2007

Quotes and Goals in Type

I found some of these while surfing other blogs, from blog to blog: see running blog column!
  • "Life is a journey not a destination. Enjoy the journey. It will be over way too soon."
  • "You can either live your life like a daring adventure or live your life safe but sorry you missed it."
  • "The race is not always to the swift, but those who keep on running!"
  • "I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench." Satchel Paige :)
  • "Aiming for the marathon is a task of sorts which can include terrific highs and lows." -Bill Rodgers
  • "Being a runner means you are now "free" to win and lose and live life to its fullest." -Bill Rodgers
I am committing myself to running most everyday, holding myself accountable by putting the "carrot" at the end of the proverbial stick by blogging my running goals. Goal: I am going to run another marathon: in 2007 and break the four hour mark. But....

I've been scared to commit to another marathon because, well, for starters it is hard work. Second, I am afraid I'll get a teaching job in the fall (which means all kinds of overwhelming changes for this household and me!!!) and not have time to train as I like. Also, the hubby will support any goals and decisions I make, it's just that he's a realist and brings me back to earth. :) It's time consuming for sure; weekend long runs can be two hours. And I know it might not work out... but I love running, once I get into a regular routine. I will think on it more, but this is a goal I hope to accomplish.

I did run again today-in incredible wind. It was great, even sunny for the first 5 minutes of my run...but then the wind kicked in and I'd swear I was in Chicago (the windy city! :)) I didn't wear anything on my ears, because of the sun at the start, so my ears hurt a bit, as well as the runner's cough setting in already. But I bettered my time: 4 miles in 29:24, wind and all. :) When I got home the sky was black. There's no "prediction for rain or showers" but the sky says otherwise... I feel great!! Three days...and counting! :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I think it's great that you're running again. I hope that after the baby is born that I'll be able to start up again. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

A couple of years ago I ran a 5K and a speed walker beat me at the last minute. I was so mad at the time, but it's kind of funny to think about now.

jkhenson said...

I'll root you on when you start again! :) Just don't start too soon: I ran two weeks after our youngest was born and promptly passed out when I got home from the three miles! I felt great, didn't go too fast or two far...but too soon! :) Freaked the hubby and older daughter out when I "plunked" onto the floor! :)