Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bugs and Glitches

I have had a few little bugs and glitches in the last few days.
  • I lost my keys (turns out I set them on my purse and they fell into the rarely used back pouch...) I searched the other pockets and shook the purse, but they were a tight fit so they didn't jingle. I had checked coat pockets, and the pockets of the purse I normally put them. Luckily, I had a spare from when the hubby had lost them when we were visiting my parents... and then I thought I'd check the pouch, just in case. So, a day and a half later, I found them.
  • My laptop, yes, the new one I bought Oct 1, is slower than slow. It's been giving me trouble, little by little, then more and slower, and then my husband spent a bit of time in front of it-remember he's a computer guy. He checked some things and saw error messages indicating my drive is corrupted and the only thing I can do about that is to send it back to it's originating company and have them replace the drive (losing all my data in the process) and send it back in TWO WEEKS!! UGh. So, today I am searching for any data I need so that I won't be sad when I can't recover it. A long, painful process, as slow as this thing is: I am struggling to type this without frustration. On the bright side, my husband has a computer upstairs that I can borrow, if he lets me, to check email and ebay sales, subbing assignments etc. :)
  • Our phones, the landline, cordless, said "out of range" on the display all day yesterday. We didn't realize it was out until the husband went out and tried to call me. Apparently, someone tripped over the cord and unplugged it, or something. However, we didn't know this and I was thinking our phones went out again: we have bad luck with cordless phones. Positively, that is all fixed!
  • The biggest, most expensive glitch this week, was my minivan with automatic side doors had issues. It was cold and the doors froze shut on Monday: it is normally in the garage, however, some Christmas decorations, that had been taken down but still wet, were put on my side of the garage, leaving my car out in the cold. Anyway, we tried opening the doors, but there was ice in it, causing the automatic door motor to run, but the door to not go anywhere. I tried a few times, thinking the ice would break free, but I think it burnt the motor on the door behind the driver. So, you have to put the auto doors on "off" drag that door open and then closed, which is super heavy, and if you want to use the other side, turn the auto control to "on" and it works normally. However, you can't leave it on "on" while it's in drive, it beeps. Continuously... because it thinks the door is open. Argh. It's annoying. Both girls have to wait until I open the door from the outside if they want to get out the driver's side as they can't open it! I'm sure it would cost a ton to get it fixed, and it's 6 years old, so the husband is in the mood for a new one. :) So, I am saying we just live with it for a while.
  • Our garbage disposal has a crack in it, as well, so it drips little puddles of water down under the sink. It is letting water into the electrical wires under it, too. So, when/if we call the plumber to come fix that, I'm thinking the disposal will have to be totally replaced, costing me an arm or a leg.
Other than those things, the week has gone well. I subbed Tues and Thurs. Both classes were extremely good! The Thurs class was a kindergarten and some of them were a little wound up, but they weren't too bad. Subbing jobs are few and far between right now, with Mondays off for Martin Luther King, Jr, President's day, just getting back from winter break, etc. I am figuring it will pick up again in Feb and March (spring break isn't until April). We finally got the blast of cold air, and the wind continued, so, no I haven't ran. Three days in a row. woo hoo. I'm not feeling too positive about that. Last week I ate pretty well and kept track of all my calories, intake and output, via a gmail spreadsheet. However, I fell off on that, too.
I have a busy next few weeks ahead: Thursday we are receiving our friends' two children, who are 4 1/2 and 2, I think. A boy and a girl. The husband won a trip to Hawaii through work and neither of their parents could keep the kids. So, we have them Thursday through Sunday, when another of their friends takes them because we have our oldest daughter's sleepover for her twelfth. Then the next week we're having family over for her birthday, for her favorite meal: brunch. :)
I have picked up my knitting again. I ran out last night to the local craft store and grabbed a few pairs of new needles for something new to try. Now I just need to branch out from my normal knit stitch/scarf. I need to try something new. :) I haven't knitted in a while, though, so I think I will pick up the simple scarf I had previously started and work on that. My oldest daughter got a "speed knitting" book for Christmas, so I may pick that up and browse, as well. I bought a couple groups of inexpensive yarn on ebay, too.
I've been reading the Treasures of Weatherby and it's pretty good so far. Not a quick read, so wonderful that I devoured it in one sitting, but that could be time constraints, too. I have read over a quarter of it and find it a good read, for youth, as I previously mentioned. And, in the vein of reading, I also have kept up with my New Testament reading (a chapter a day on weekdays) with a group from our church's circle. Two weeks and counting. :)
I just recently finished my scrapbook of our trip this past summer, but I still have to journal in it-write the captions as to what's happening in the picture. I'm planning on working on that today. We are also headed to a children's theater today with some other friends and then out to dinner, this afternoon. So, hopefully no more bugs or glitches for a while? And they're all minimal things; we all still have our faith, health and positivity, so we're pretty darn lucky! :) Have a great weekend, reader!

No comments: