Tuesday, November 23, 2010

100 things about me as a reader

I saw posts here and here about 100 Things about me as a Reader and I thought it would be a great blog post. If you're reading this and you do a blog post about it, please let me know so I can see yours, too! :) I, like the two posts I listed, haven't thought of 100 yet, but loved the idea and have it on my mind. :)

Here are my first 20.
1. Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon were the first mysteries I learned to enjoy. Then I discovered Dick Francis and John Grisham for a while. My current favorites are the Laura Childs mystery series.
2. My mom and Aunt Trudy were-and still are-inspiring readers. They devour books of all kinds and have for as long as I can remember.
3. I didn't frequent the library very often as a child, but it's a tradition we love as a family, now.
4. I like a wide variety of book genres.
5. My high school literature teacher LOVED books and savoring every detail. She encouraged me to do the same.
6. I started college as an English major. My first prof. squashed my joy for reading and writing for a while. She was a good squasher, not a good teacher. All things happen for a reason and I am much better suited as an elementary school teacher. :)
7. On a cool/snowy/rainy day I enjoy sitting in front of our fire place, on the floor, with my two dogs snuggled up beside me, reading a book.
8. I cannot skip ahead and read the ending of a book-unless it is the end of the book.
9. I feel guilty not finishing a book or reading more than one book at once.
10. I feel bad that I don't read enough nonfiction. I always think I'd like to, but when I start them, my attention wanes.
11. I loved reading Les Miserables and A Midsummer Night's Dream and then seeing them come alive on stage.
12. I have several "to read" books on my shelf in my office and I look forward to reading them, when I allow myself the time.
13. As a teacher and mom who loves to read, I also love children's books and young adults books.
14. I have been rereading classics and finding my perspective has changed in some ways. To Kill a Mockingbird is even more wonderful than I remembered, and the Great Gatsby, still good, but not great like I remember.
15. The Secret Garden and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn stand out in my mind as some of the greatest books I have ever read-that spoke to me more than others.
16. Two that didn't were My Antonia and David Copperfield.
17. The Mitford Series is a series that I can read over and over again, finding new things I like/notice each time.
18. I find myself reading more magazines than books lately.
19. I love being in a bookstore. It makes my heart happy that my husband and daughters like it, too.
20. One of the firest things I loved about my husband was that he loved to read, too. He was either reading a Grisham book or had just finished the very same book I was reading when we met. I remember going to his fraternity house to see him, on a night the house was having a party. I didn't see him anywhere at the party. His housemates said he was "probably reading". As they scoffed, I swooned. Sure enough. He was sitting in his room, reading a book. :))

That's all I have for today. What do you think of when you think of your reading self? :)

Happy Thanksgiving, Dear Reader. :)

No comments: