Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Geography Songs

I'm getting ready for our school's geography bee later this week. Since I am the social studies teacher, and it's a yearly tradition, I am in the midst of planning. We do the normal geography bee things, like early rounds earlier in the week to narrow down our finalists and prepare with more geography lessons, but I also tried some new things last year. It was my first year and I was still figuring things out. I incorporated songs all the kids could sing, participants and observers. Here are the two I had the students learn last year: The Alphabet of Nations by They Might Be Giants (no West Xylaphone isn't a country, but they approach it in a cool way in this video-the kids love it, even my middle schoolers!) Also: Fifty States that Rhyme (We are from Ohio so we hold our nose when we say Michigan and Say Ohio rather loudly ;)) The students still sing and remember them, which I love! :) I'm thinking of trying a new song this year: Animaniacs Geography Song It needs some updating-some country names have changed, but it might be fun to get them thinking-maybe I will just show parts?

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

You're too funny -- the old OH/MI rivalry being taught in all subjects. I think I need to go learn those songs -- my geography education is lacking!

molly said...

I remember They Might Be ginnts from yers ago---very catchy and that helps the kids remember! Great that you are enjoying teaching so much....
BTW---lovely pic of yous husband and daughter!