Thursday, October 25, 2012

Today

Today*We had conferences for our youngest daughter. They were "student-led" and she was wonderful. Her grades are great and she gets upset when she isn't perfect in everything, so we knew her academics were fine. Her teachers confirmed that she is a wonderful leader who speaks at the right times. I am so thankful. Today*Our oldest daughter reminded me how much I will miss her next year. She finished up two college applications last night. Today, with conferences, the youngest didn't have school, so our oldest came home on her school lunch time and took her out to lunch. I am reminded how lucky we are that they are so close. I am so thankful. Today*My running has been going well, times coming down, even as distance goes up, but my shins have been very painful, again, as of late. They are swollen and painful to the touch. I decided to pitch a walk or bike ride to my husband, and ended up suggesting we walk a mile or so to a local restaurant, eat and walk home. He agreed and we had such a lovely time. Still seems strange sometimes to go places like that without our girls and see our "empty nest" future. We had plenty to talk about and enjoyed our time together. I am so thankful. Today*My dog snores beside me. His health issues are getting more noticeable. His big fatty deposit lump is very large and he is getting skinnier, sleeping most of the day, now. My husband took him to the vet over the summer and she said she doesn't expect a year out of him, now. The lump can't be removed safely, and is taking his nutrients. He still doesn't display pain or discomfort, other than carrying around the heavy lump. The vet said that most dogs, when they become ill or decline like this, pull away from their families. Mine gets closer, not willing to leave my side, if I'm home, for moments. I am so thankful. {Our other dog gets older and more crotchety, but that's a story for a different day ;)} Today*Teaching went well. In the eighth grade I taught a lesson about the Acts during the late 1700s-Stamp Act, Navigation Acts, Townshend Acts, etc. I had a wonderful activity I had received from another teacher. The kids were active and engaged, they drew wonderful connections. I had them discuss the experience as well as their thoughts as a result, and they were excellent. I was a proud teacher-those moments can be rare sometimes, when you see their growth and enjoyment of history. I am so thankful. I don't know where I'm headed, where my days ahead will take me, but I do know today was a great day and I am so thankful for all the wonderful people and moments that today held. How was your day?

3 comments:

molly said...

Sounds like a great day! I had an eye check-up in the morning, and then drove an elderly friend to the quilt shop north of us. We found what we needed and had a lovely lunch. She's old enough to be my mother but we always enjoy each other's company. And at home I have my eternal student to make me laugh and drive me crazy.....so yes, a good day....except, of course for his flat tire on the way to classes....Should I stop now?! It's wonderful that your girls are so close. Mine are ten years apart, so not so much....Nice to hear from you again. You've been quiet....Busy obviously!

Pam said...

Today we went for a walk along the river with Daughter 1, SIL 1 and Grandson. It was sunny and would have been lovely - was in some ways - but we are so worried about SIL 1, who's been off work with depression for about 5 months now.

Ah well.

I'm curious - in Britain, if we're talking about 2 children, we'd always say "the older" and "the younger". But you always write "oldest" and "youngest" - which in Britain would suggest more than 2. Is that an American thing? Does everyone say that, of 2?

I do sympathise about the imminent departure of your older daughter. We miss our departed children so much.

jkhenson said...

Both of you, Molly and Isabelle, have been very busy, as well! Things have been well, here, hopefully that continues! My brother and I were never particularly close, although we have gotten a bit closer as we both have children now. I wanted my girls to be close, I'm glad they are! Isabelle, I'm not sure, but I think I say oldest, because I only have two and it may be because we have lost two children and I never want them to be forgotten, if only in my own mind?