Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I would love to be that type of person...

There are souls in this world which have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go. ~Frederick Faber

I would like the above quote to be what people say about me. I want to find joy everywhere and leave it behind me when I go. Today I didn't do that.
I was not "positively" mom when I came home and snapped at one daughter for not watering the obviously thirsty dogs and the other for asking to attend a far away track meet on Saturday to watch the remnants of her team compete. I told my husband the beef stew he had prepared this morning smelled "interesting" instead of thanking him for making the meal before he headed off to work where he provides for us. I felt so grumpy and tired, and it showed.
The funny thing is that I am less patient with my family, the ones I love most. Those people I would be an empty shell without.
I try hugs, smiles and cheer to encourage those that aren't smiling, outside of my home. I don't do nearly enough of that in my home. I consider all attitudes contagious. I want to leave people better off than when I found them, to share the Light. That should go for my family as well. I need to let them know how much they bring me smiles, cheer and happiness.
I often think of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and how George Bailey, in wishing he were dead or trying to kill himself, has no idea how many lives he had touched in a positive way until Clarence, his guardian angel, shows him. I want to be positively touching lives-so many that I don't even realize how many until God shows me... I've definitely got work to do! :) I hope you have positive people and light in your lives today, and always, Dear Reader.

1 comment:

momo said...

ah jen, you are looking inside. i love it. i really do.

we are the least patient with those that we love because of that very reason - we know they love us. we're generally on our best behavior with those we want to impress. :) i can bet that your family understands because its my bet as well, that you do a really wonderful job the other 99.9% of the time of showing them how much you love them. give yourself permission to feel those hard feelings now and then - grumpy, sad, mad, worried - and know that it will pass, because it will. i promise. and, girl, george baily's got nothing on you. xoxo.