Monday, August 02, 2010

Fun

Happy Monday! :) Hope this email finds you well.

Some fun things we've done over the last week:
*went to the zoo with family today
*my youngest built a fort out of our large stack of firewood, some tarps, she even sewed some flags and curtains for it, and it's the perfect reading spot. :)
*had some of my husband's family over for smoked pork and zucchini bake with zucchini from our garden!
*dreamt of renovations we'd like to have done to our home (wow, the list can get pretty long! ;))
*learned/played a new card game
*learned to digitally scrapbook (I've done a layout and have thought/planned several more!)
*I finished my Run Like a Mother book and it was great! (answers to previous questions about running posts: I think about different things... depends on the day. Often, I pray and think of all the things I'd like God to help me with and all the things I'm thankful for. I listen to music and when I'm tired I try to match my footsteps with the rhythm of the music. I look at the nature around me-I run on a path sometimes that is full of bunnies, birds chirping, elderly couples, and more! :) I also think about my plans for the half marathon, how I'm going to make it there, and how much I can eat that day due to burnt calories! :))
*Lately I've been reading posts about digital scrapbooking which has been a fun learning experience!
*We got to keep my niece for half a day last week and it was FUN! She's four and is such a cutie! :) Took her brothers to the zoo with us today and they were just as fun! :)
*Had two fires in our fire pit-one night I sat and enjoyed a chat with one of our dear neighbors beside a fire, which made a delightful evening.

I looked at the calendar this weekend and couldn't believe it's already August! I wondered where is our summer going! (I'm wondering, too, Thimbleanna!! :)) My girls start school three weeks and two days. I look ahead at our busy schedules and I wonder how I will finish my "summer to do list"!

I have often wondered, lately, where my path is leading, as you probably read in recent posts. Today I ran into a student I had last winter/spring. She wasn't happy to have me for a substitute, as, understandably, she had loved her teacher. She gave me stubbornness and obvious dislike at the beginning of my stay. She was sad to say goodbye to me at the end of the year. I really saw a change in her. Today, when I ran into her, she shouted my name, and ran up and hugged me, smiling to see me! It was then I remembered why I work so hard at teaching, even if it's subbing or long-term subbing. :) My heart smiled again. :) If God's plan is for me to be a substitute, then that's what I will be. :) I will touch lives... if only temporarily. :) I've said it before and I will say it again, I do not know where God's road map has me going-although I'd love to glance at it sometimes!-and I don't know where I'm headed, but I know He has a plan and He has me in His hands. :))

I hope you have a wonderful week and are smiling in your heart!! :))

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

You're such a sweetheart Jen! I hope you find the job that you'll really love soon - and if not, you sure have a good attitude. I think I might just love subbing -- a change of scenery often and not some of the drudgery that goes along with everyday teaching.

I'm so envious of your running. I keep trying but my legs just aren't playing along. I have a new plan now -- the elliptical (which I loathe) everyday and then maybe try running again but only once or twice a week and see if my legs will like it a little less often.

Happy August!

molly said...

Have you read Ralph Waldo Emerson's poem about success? I have it pinned on the wall in my sewing room, and this prompted me to go over and read it again. By his description [and mine!] you are a resounding success as a human being.....About that girl you ran into.

"To know even one life had breathed easier because you had lived ---
This is to have succeeded." RWE

molly said...

.......I have a picture of my dad pinned next to that poem. He didn't think he was much of a success in life. But by RWE's reckoning [and mine] he was a champ!

Pam said...

Oh, PM, I'm sure there will be a job for you. I'd have loved you as a teacher for my children.