Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Stinging Reality


Since I wrote last, while at my grandparents' cottage, I was stung by a wasp/bee.

It stung me between the forefinger and thumb on my right hand. It happened around four o'clock. By dinner, I had lost my first knuckle to swelling, still painful and had a sausage for a thumb. This continued until my entire had was swollen so fat I couldn't see any knuckles, which is very unusual for me-they're usually very clear to see and I have thin fingers. I had a huge hand, it was red, itchy and painful. I got some benedryl and took a pill every four hours-and it did nothing. So, we left a little earlier than we had planned,the next day. We came home and I went to an urgent care. The dr. said it was normal (my mom now says she's talked to other health professionals and they disagree) and the swelling just seemed like a lot because it was confined to my hand. She said it would go away in a week, but she gave me a tetanus shot-I couldn't remember the last time I'd had one-and a shot of steroids in my keister. It didn't help until the next day, and then the swelling went down and the redness and heat went away, but the itch continued for three more days. I lived. My family was worried because my brother is deathly allergic, must carry an epi-pen to inject immediately in case of a sting. So, my family thought I was developing such an allergy. Hopefully not. I work in my garden with no fear of the many bees who are busy working there. I would like to continue in my blissful ignorance. :)

Speaking of my garden, I had to pull out my large area of daisies. The grubs ate all the roots-I could pull them up with no effort at all and they were all brown and crispy. Grubs are the larvae of the previously mentioned Japanese beetles. I have not sprayed pesticides anymore: they're not good for any of us and they don't do any good after it rains. I also learned (my children love animal planet tv channel and heard that:) a baby hummingbird relies mostly on bugs for its diet, so that's why I hadn't had any in my garden. I have many plants they and butterflies are supposed to like, but the pesticide was keeping them away...so I have the quandry of lovely plants that are bug free, but also butterfly and hummingbird free, or some hideously destroyed plants but more visitors I like, with tagalongs that I don't.

Mom and Dad came over earlier in the week on their way to a sporting event. They stayed overnight, to get some of their drive out of the way. It was nice to have them for a visit.

Well, school starts next week and my now middle-schooler is getting a bit nervous about the changes. My younger daughter is super excited to go back. Can't wait. I want them to slow down in their growing up, but I can't make them. :)

I will be substitute teaching again this year, and am subbing in the kindergarten all week next week. The teacher will be there, and the kids come in small groups each day, but the teacher will be doing assessments, so they need someone to keep an eye on the other kids. I get full time sub pay so that will be really nice.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

Isabelle said...

Oh dear, poor you. The only time I've been stung by a wasp I passed out - this was in 1968, and I've wondered vaguely ever since whether I'm allergic to them. I've avoided them successfully so far since then!

Sorry about your daisies. Those beetles sound a real pest.

I've been back at college for two weeks now. It's ok but I prefer holiday times...