Monday, October 17, 2011

1/2 marathon 2011

My second half marathon was yesterday. It was chilly and the wind picked up as we waited for the start. I was standing in corral C with 17,000 total other people. My 1/2 marathon last year was 1:54:34. This year I set my goal a little higher, my time a little faster. I wanted 1:50. I took off too fast. I was surrounded by people and filled with the desire to pass them all. What I didn't remember was that my time mattered more to me than beating these people I didn't know. :) My first splits were all faster than goal and I was riding high! Until... right calf cramped at mile ten. I had to stop and stretch while my brain yelled at me, "See, this is why we pace ourselves!" I only stretched briefly, two different times. My neighbor came up and cheered me on as he passed me on his way to a full marathon. I saw my family three different times-all at spots where I really needed the lift. So, helpful to have people rooting you on! One of my students was there cheering on her mother, and cheered for me, too. :) When I hit the cramp/mile ten I didn't think I was going to make it. I felt my time goal slipping away. I looked down at my arm where I had written an inspiring quote I had gotten from a fellow runner: "I don't quit when I'm tired, I quit when I'm done". I pushed on, and cruised into the last mile on target, but just. I worked the last hill, every step aching, and then downhill to the finish. I stopped my watch as I crossed the finish. I looked down and tears sprang to my eyes as I read 1:50:23. :)) I am still pretty happy, even if my body is not... ;)

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- that's SO impressive Jen -- Good for YOU!!!