Friday, May 04, 2007

I've done it...

I have done more research on previously mentioned Japanese beetles and the woman at the local nursery said...I think all you can do is remove the plants the beetles like. I can't let the beetles win! They will not defeat me....oh, but they have. I removed some of the plants they like to eat and replaced them with others I hope they don't like. I have begun the transformation of my garden. I have always had a list of bird attracting and butterfly attracting plants and hoped to purchase them someday. So, this week, before I subbed in the afternoon, I went to the nursery and purchased some from my list...hopefully the plants like it here in my little garden and keep away the nasty insects who destroy it. Here is my garden last July in full bloom: The daisies in the middle were subsequently destroyed by the beetles, as were a few others. The zinnias on the right are annuals, but I may try to plant some more because they did so well last year. Hopefully I will have successfully removed the pests from my front garden....

4 comments:

Christy said...

Argh! Don't remind me about the Japanese Beetles. Hopefully they won't be as bad this year as they have been.

Your garden looks great. I need to get some annuals to plant in mine. The perennials are coming in nicely so far. I can't wait until everything is blooming.

Pam said...

That's so pretty. So your "garden" is the bit with flowers, is that right? and the rest is the "yard"? In Britain, the whole thing is a garden. I thought the whole thing in America was called a yard. Confusing!

jkhenson said...

Our Japanese beetles have only gotten worse over the last three years.

Isabelle, the yard is the green grass outside the fence. The local neighborhood houses all have similar landscaping, so I put in a perennial garden (full of flowers in the fence) with a white picket fence to look different. Here, the flowers are the garden, and the grass is the yard. :)

I can't wait for things to bloom, either. Right now I have the bulbs that have flowered and the columbine as well, but that's it.

Allison Henson said...

love the fence:)