Thursday, November 12, 2009

Decluttering

Have been thinking a lot lately about de-cluttering. On this site there is a post about the 27 most important rules to keeping a house. I liked some of them. I'm an "organizer"... this site (I think in a previous article I read) suggested "Don't organize"... throw away and then you won't have as much to find a place for... :)
On this site Get Organized, they have 52 challenges (1 per week). One was to throw away 50 things, and I'm in the mood to purge, so I'm doing that after I post! :)
On this blog the writer has a "Finish it Friday" where she lists things she needs to get done over the weekend, holds herself accountable, checks in on Monday and reports what got done over the weekend. I like that idea and feel the need to make my own Finish it Friday lists, too! :) Last weekend, due to my illness, one of mine was "recuperate". :) My list for this weekend is much longer. I have felt inspired today to get things done. I made a list from the upstairs to the basement of places clutter goes to die... I am working on them this weekend.

On a sweet note, I have had my "office" in our dining room space for quite a while. We have always talked about it becoming a dining room and getting a table big enough to seat guests... I knew my space was temporary. We talked about moving it downstairs to the basement, but I like nature and light. I felt sad. Then my husband said I could have his office space! I felt awful! He needs a "man room" in a house full of women! :)) He came up with a plan to redo our room, which has plenty of space, for a nook for himself, and for me to turn his office into my own office/scrapbooking space... :) To keep all our paperwork in one organized spot, all my supplies on one floor of the house... wow. A dream. Do I dare get excited, or will the cheapskate in me rear its ugly head and tell me things are cheaper as is. Although, I'm planning on checking out craigslist.com and selling the stuff I'd nolonger use.... It's exciting, but it comes with a bit of guilt. I'm kicking him out of his space? Hmmm, so much for the giving me of the last post!! ;)

5 comments:

jkhenson said...

Done! 54 things thrown away! :))

iJuls said...

You're just sharing. He had his turn and now it's yours.

molly said...

I have made a career of trying to get organized! And I can tell you, it's an uphill struggle. I'm always starting over, with new strategies. My new strategy will be to throw out 50 things. It's SOOO much easier to SAY than to DO though!

Pam said...

Not good at throwing out. I tell myself that when I retire, things will be different...

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! 54 things? Good for you! I'm going to do 50 things this weekend -- we're going to tackle the master bedroom closet -- ouch!

And did you settle on a plan for your space?